Thursday, September 10, 2015

As the Crow Flies...a Gothic tale by Tattered Rose


On my daily walk this morning, there was a solitary crow at the roof peak of the school I pass by...it was crowing it's heart out. Perhaps, he too was miffed by the loud sounds of children playing in the schoolyard. But I digress....

Actually, it made me think of the colour (or should I say, non-colour) BLACK. As a child, I never wore black. I didn't know about wearing black back then, as it was many decades after the Victorian mourning period, where it was accepted that family members of a lost loved one would wear all black for some time after the death.

When I was about 6 or 7 years old, my older sister, who was about 18 or 19 years old, came back home to live again, after seeing the world for a few years. I would watch with fascination, as she put her makeup on and did her hair while getting ready for a date, wearing black lingerie and sometimes even a black sweater or pants. I noticed the black but still, it wasn't appropriate for children to wear black.

Fast forward to my first real job in business. A young lady who became my friend wore a lot of black and even though I greatly admired her style, I was still into wearing mostly colour with some grey thrown in.....

Then, somewhere down the road, in my own sweet time, I too developed a fondness for wearing black. As most of my customers will attest, I am usually wearing black and/or grey...my two main wardrobe colours and the ones I always feel most like myself in.
There are a lot of us who wear a lot of black and Tattered Rose has plenty of black clothing as well as Gothic & Steampunk clothing.

Black crows, black cats, black clothing....what do they call it when things just come together like that?

The End (for now)

No comments: